Sunday 3 February 2013

Doing Some Planting

Bulbs Bulbs Everywhere!

So, we have had quite a few healthy shoots coming up in the garden lately!

DSCF8688-1

I don’t actually know what these flowers are but they are sprouting and look really good!

There are some more shoots appearing around the garden too!

DSCF8692-1

Things are really starting to grow!

DSCF8689-1

It’s quite exciting and I’m really looking forward to seeing how these tulips and daffodils are going to look in our garden!

So, I decided to do some planting today!

I bought some bulbs from Asda while we were doing our usual weekly shop. I had mentioned them to my dad, an actual gardener, a few weeks ago and he suggested buying them. So I did.

DSCF8704-1

It was the Irises I was most interested in, I’ve seen them in manor house gardens and I think they’re beautiful so I fancied some for myself.

On the back of the box, I noticed some helpful instructions:

DSCF8705-1

The one bit I noticed was that I need to plant the bulbs in Sept – Dec, it is now February. A bit late! Never mind, I persevered regardless!

I dug the approved 8-12cm into the ground and began planting a line of Irises.

DSCF8697-1

I made sure that I only dug in places that weren’t showing any shoots or I knew there weren’t any other plants there.

DSCF8695-1 DSCF8696-1
DSCF8693-1 DSCF8694-1

These are the bulbs that I planted today. At the wrong time of year, but hey why not see what happens?

DSCF8698-1

I planted the Irises in a row because I do think they look nice like that. They’re a lot closer together than it advised on the back of the box but I do think that gardening is not an exact science. Says the amateur gardener!

DSCF8699-1The other flowers I put in a scattered arrangement, to make them look a little bit more natural. But it was difficult to find a space in our garden, I really wanted to avoid the other plants.

DSCF8701-1

As you can see, this is a patch of the garden that hasn’t been used yet so it’s prime for planting some more bulbs!

DSCF8702-1

This is the last scattering of bulbs where I mixed in everything that was left in a large open patch of the garden.

Before I headed back into the warm, I planted one more plant.

DSCF8703

A Camellia! It was a dual colour one so I’m looking forward to seeing what this will look like when it flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment